Thursday, August 13, 2009

Monica’s Scones and other East End Farmers Market Goodies


My friend Marcia, visiting from PA and neighbor Dottie found quite a few things at the market last weekend. We chatted with Karl Frost of Frosty Morning Farm and purchased a couple of perennials for our yards, I picked up some lettuce and Japanese cucumbers from Buried Treasures, picked up some young lettuce from Sean Duffy, I also checked in with Kristin of Lime Hollow Naturals where my friends picked up some of her furniture polish. They’ll let me know how it works. I also have tried her dish soap and laundry soap. The laundry soap goes a long way – I can do 64 loads with one bag of soap using my front loader machine. I also purchased some gardeners soap from Tom Quinn of Quinn’s Irish Farm. His wife, Pat, makes the soap. I had purchased their mechanics soap last visit, and it worked great getting varnish off of my husband's hands. I also purchased another beautiful fresh flower bouquet from Lisa Lickona of Red Rose Farm. It is nice to have some locally and sustainably grown flowers to brighten up my house. Tammie Whitson of Coldbrook Farm was doing her free wool workshops and we also purchased some of her products - like coconut lip balm!

Edgewood bakery had the macaroons again (quite a weakness for me – reminds me of visiting the Jersey shore with my Granddad when I was little). And something new I tried that will become a regular purchase: Monica’s scones. Monica is the daughter of Lisa Lickona and is selling buttermilk and chocolate chip scones at the Red Rose Farm booth. If you haven’t tried Monica’s scones, make sure you do. Two weeks ago my neighbor, Dave, picked up a few of her scones and highly recommended them to me. This past Saturday I purchased some of her buttermilk scones, and was Dave right. They are very good. In addition to Monica’s scones, neighbor Dottie tried some of Gladtime Market’s fresh corn and said it was the best she’d had all season.

So if you haven’t ventured out to any of the Cortland County farmers markets, make sure you do. And get their early - as I'll be hitting Red Rose farm for those scones first thing!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! This is Monica Lickona! I am posting this comment to let it be known that Monica's Scones will not be at the East End Farmers' Market this weekend due to the fact that I am on vacation in California. I am sorry for any disappointment this might cause my valued customers. I hope you all will save up your appetites for next weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete