Friday, April 17, 2009

Excuses for Eating Meat?

OK - I admit it. I eat meat. I know for some, eating a vegetarian diet is a means to improve their health, reduce their environmental impact, and show their concern over the treatment of animals. However for me, going vegetarian is not really what works best for my health and overall well being. Apparently, I’m not the only one who feels this way. This article discusses how some former vegetarians are again eating meat and some reasons why.

Even to me though, it makes sense that eating lower on the food chain is more ecologically sustainable than those diets that include meat. In fact, studies have found that a person who eats a lot of meat will need 3-7 times the amount of land to support their diet than a low-fat vegetarian. Meat production, especially that from grain fed cows and pigs in large confined animal feeding operations (CAFO), uses lots of fossil fuels in the process and emits lots of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. Knowing this, I have reduced the amount of meat I eat and have minimized eating grain fed meat from CAFOs. Instead, we purchase locally grown, pasture raised meat as much as possible from farmers we know and trust to treat the animals (and the environment) with respect and care.

Although eating lower on the food chain seems to make sense, some recent research indicates that vegetarian diets may not be the best for central New York. A study by Cornell University found that eating a diet that includes dairy and meat may be more ecologically sustainable in this part of the country. How is this possible? The issue comes down to what type of land (and climate) is needed to grow vegetables versus meat and dairy. In central New York, it would take a lot of energy to produce and store enough vegetables year round to support our population and it would be hard on the land. The study indicated that a mixed farming approach with animals providing the needed compost and grazing on land that would be unsuitable for vegetable growing would provide a more sustainable local food supply. Keep in mind that the amounts of meat/eggs per day recommended in the study are small, only 2.2 oz. versus the 5.8 oz. that most Americans eat each day. Luckily for me, I have a few friends in the area who are vegetarians, so I have offered to eat their 2.2 oz. portions every now and then to help make them part of a more sustainable central New York☺

1 comment:

  1. whoa! don't tell my vegan friends about that study.

    OK, chickens for sure then, maybe ducks too I if I can figure out how to keep the coyotes away. any other critters that like to pick the bugs off my vegetables will be welcome as well.

    ReplyDelete