Thursday, March 12, 2009

Making Butter

Feeling confident after the success of our first attempt at making cheese, I decided to give making my own butter a try using some of the organic raw milk we purchased from Twin Oaks Farm in Truxton.  Googling “Making butter from raw milk” led me to several websites with directions. This one has great photos of the process.

After letting the quart jars of milk sit for a few days in the fridge for the cream to separate, I carefully dipped the cream out of a few of them.  I put the cream in a separate container and back in the refrigerator to chill. Meanwhile I placed my steel mixing bowl in the freezer to also chill.  This is apparently a mistake.  According to this website, it strongly recommended that the cream be very cold in order for the process to work. Having always chilled my bowl before making whipped cream topping, I assumed it would also help the process of making butter. It did not. 

After several minutes of my mixer going full speed, it stayed in the whipped cream stage. I had nice peaks of whipped cream.  It just wouldn't "seize" and become butter. I decided to turn off the mixer and just let it all sit for about 15 minutes before I tried it again. It still stayed whipped cream. At this point I was getting a little frustrated, but I persevered and decided to wait another 15 minutes or so and tried it again. Hurray, I had butter! After squeezing out the buttermilk and washing it a few times in ice water, I added a little kosher salt and kneaded it in. Apparently homemade butter (especially by novice butter makers) does not keep too long, so most of the butter I wrapped up and put in the freezer. I think it tastes pretty good, although that could be just me trying to rationalize the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment